Clinical Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice
Medway School of Pharmacy
- +44 (0)1634 20 2949
I am a fully trained and qualified pharmacist since 1988. I am on the General Pharmaceutical Council Register (UK), on the PharmaSuisse (Switzerland) register and on the Brescia (Italy) register as practicing pharmacists. I was awarded my first degree in pharmacy from University of Trieste (Italy, 1988), a second degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and technology (CTF) from the same university in 1991. Then I decided to specialise in hospital pharmacy (1999) from University Padua (Italy), later I achieved a Master in Business Administration (MBA) from Bradford School from Management (UK) - TiasNimbas the Netherland (2005) and during the same year the accreditation in the provision of Medicine Use Review (MUR) and repeat dispensing (UK).
I have spent about 20 years working in different sectors and different countries before joining Medway School of Pharmacy in September 2009. I have had the chance to develop an international hospital and community pharmacy experience. I have been pharmacy proprietor in Italy and Switzerland and worked for the pharmaceutical industry too.
I am course co-ordinator of Introduction to Pharmacy Practice: Professional Skills Law and Ethic (MPharm Stage 1).
I teach aseptic dispensing using SimMan® technology (MPharm Stage 3) and contributing to dispensing sessions (MPharm Stage 2 & 3).
National award winner (2013)
9th November 2013: Caduceo D’Oro (Golden Caduceus) issued by Ordine dei Farmacisti di Bari-BAT (Italy) together with Senato della Repubblica Italiana, FOFI, Puglia Region and Italian Ministry of Health, for the contribution to the development of the pharmacy profession, pharmaceutical science and economic wealth.
Affiliation and Membership of Professional Bodies
Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, UK
Member of the General Pharmaceutical Council, UK
Member of Ordine dei Farmacisti della Provincia di Brescia, Italy
Member of PharmaSuisse, Switzerland
Member of the Global Education Task Force
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
Since 2010 I have decided to get more involved in research and now I am conducting international research and consultancy projects. While doing research I have been involved with the Italian Pharmacists Federation (FOFI) and since then I have been working with a team of Italian pharmacists, coordinating the pilot, development and implementation of a national project aiming to introduce and train community pharmacists in the provision of cognitive pharmaceutical services.
My research interests are community pharmacy services, pharmaceutical care, development of socially, economically and professionally sustainable pharmacy models and the application of different statistical techniques to analyse complex data sets.
Founding from European Association of Hospital Pharmacy (EAHP), Italian Pharmacists Federation (FOFI), and other pharmacy bodies.
Italy (major collaboration)
Italian Pharmacists Federation (FOFI)
Italian Ministry of Health
University of Padua
University of Granada (Spain),
Jagiellonian Medical College Cracow (Poland),
Ordine dei Farmacisti del Canton Ticino (Switzerland)
EAHP (European Association of Hospital Pharmacy)
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada
- Manfrin A, Thomas T, Krska J. Randomised evaluation of the Italian medicines use review provided by community pharmacists using asthma as a model (RE I-MUR). BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15:171, available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12913-015-0791-6
- Manfrin A and Krska J. (2014) Evaluation of feedback on medicines use reviews provided in Italy from patients with asthma. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 10 (5). e22. ISSN 1551-7411 (doi:10.1016/j.sapharm.2014.07.062)
- Krska J. and Manfrin, A. (2014) Pharmacist and GP views on a medicine use review pilot project conducted in Italy. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, 10 (5). e38. ISSN 1551-7411 (doi:10.1016/j.sapharm.2014.07.100)
- Manfrin A., Mar Molinero C., Cacciolatti L. The use of MDS and HCA enabled pharmacists to reveal their roles which reflect on country of practice and cultural differences when improving patients' adherence to asthma medication. Proceeding 15th Applied Stochastic Models and Data Analysis International Conference, Mataró (Barcellona), Spain 25-28 June 2013 (Full paper), 569-574. Published January 2014, available at http://www.asmda.es/images/1Proceedings_ASMDA_2013_K-M.pdf
- Manfrin A., Caparrotta L., Krska J. Evaluation of a pilot study involving MUR provision in Italy, using web-based data capture. IIPP (International Journal of Pharmacy Practice) Vol. 21, Supplement 2, September 2013 ISSN 0961-7671 p 113-114.
- Manfrin A., Caparrotta L., Krska J. Medicine use review in Italy: a pilot project using asthma as model (preliminary data analysis). IJCP 2013 (International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy) Volume 3, issue 3, page 505.
- Manfrin A, Caparrotta L., Krska J. Medicine Use Review in Italy: a pilot project using asthma as a model. Second Interim report 8th February 2013. Available at: [http://www.fofi.it/news.php?id=1745]
- Perepelkin J., Manfrin A. Pharmacist Service Provision and the Environment of the Community Pharmacy in Canada. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy, Volume 8, Issue 6, November–December 2012, Pages e53-e54
- Manfrin A. A new approach to aseptic by a new teaching model. EuroPharmaFaculties News. The Journal of the European Association of Faculties of Pharmacy. p 8-11 December 2011. Available at: [http://eafponline.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EPFN-December-2011.pdf]
- Manfrin A, Keating M, Gallagher L, Shi X, Khambay P, Apampa B. Bridging the gap between Aseptic Preparation and Potential Clinical Consequences. Pharmacy Education. Vol 11, Issue 1, pages 152-153. 14 December 2011.
- Manfrin A., Farmacia dei servizi: Che cosa succede oltre confine. Il Farmacista. (Organo ufficiale della Federazione degli Ordini dei farmacisti Italiani, FOFI) . Numero 18 Dicembre 2011 p 14-16.
- Manfrin A., Gill T.S., Mar Molinero C., Recalde L., Sanchez Pozo A., Caparrotta L. Impact of Information Communication Technology on Community Pharmacies, Pharmacists and Patients in Europe. IJPP (International Journal of Pharmacy Practice), Vol.19, Supplement 2, October 2011, ISSN 0961-7671. P 94.
- Manfrin A., Gill T. S., Recalde L., Sánchez Pozo A., Polak S., Morais J. G., De Menezes J. C. M., Caparrotta L. New Pharmacies and Pharmacists in Europe: what gets measured gets done. Revista Portuguesa de Farmacia. ISSN 0484 - 811 X. Volume LII (n 5) p. 31 Suplemento 2011
- Manfrin A., Mar Molinero C. Using multivariate statistics to understand pharmacy management: from shopkeepers to gatekeepers and new service providers. Revista Portuguesa de Farmacia. ISSN 0484 - 811 X. Volume LII (n 5) p. 37 Suplemento 2011.
- Lyall S.,Oyefeso A., Berhe Z., Manfrin A. Analyse & compare POM Orlistat vs. P Orlistat. Drug Information Journal. Vol. 45, (2) March 2011 ISSN 0092-8615. p 217.
Articles in Italian
- Con lo studio RE I-MUR la farmacia volta pagina; p 2, 10. Farmacia news (Techiniche nuove), March 2016.
- Manfrin A, Thomas, Krska J. Valutazione randomizzata della revisione italiana dell’uso dei farmaci fornita nella farmacia di comunità utilizzando l’asma come modello. Available at www.quotidianosanita.it/allegati/allegato8662480.pdf October 12th 2015)
- Manfrin A. Il paziente migliora - e i costi scendono – se il farmacista collabora alla cura (8th May 2015) available at http://www.fofi.it/news.php?id=3837
- Aderenza terapeutica in farmacia. Pubblicata su BMC Health Services research la ricerca “RE I-MUR” patrocinata dalla FOFI, available at http://www.ilfarmacistaonline.it/lavoro-e-professioni/articolo.php?articolo_id=27676 (29th April 2015)
- Manfrin A. Il futuro dei farmaci dalle stampanti 3D alle 4D il passo é breve. Popular Science (Italian edition) p 56-59, March 2015, KEKOA publishing
- Pharmaceutical care: il nuovo modello di farmacia (Puntoeffe n 8th April 2014, pages 12-15)
- I-MUR fase 3: formazione quasi completata, attesi ok sul protocollo (16th September 2014)
- L’intervento del farmacista a supporto dell’aderenza piace al paziente e al medico curante (22nd January 2014)
- FOFI: il farmacista assicura l’aderenza alle terapia (22nd January 2014)
- MUR: in Inghilterra é scontro, ma in Italia é un progetto “tailor made” (2nd May 2013)
Presentations, videos and interviews available on the web
- I-MUR, intervento del farmacista fa risparmiare SSN, (18th March 2016, Florence Italy).
- Le nuove regole del gioco. La Farmacia, La Professione, le Istituzioni. Confronto sulla farmacia che cambia. (14th November 2015, Palermo, Italy)
- Il farmacista a support dell’aderenza dei trattamenti nello studio RE I-MUR
- La Farmacia nel Futuro, UDINE FUTURE FORUM 2014 (4th November 2014)
- Il farmacista a supporto dell’aderenza dei trattamenti nello studio RE I-MUR (12th October 2015, Rome, Italy)
National online training program
- Progetto di formazione per farmacisti sull’asma organizzato dall’Ordine dei Farmacisti delle provincie di Milano, Monza, Lodi e Brianza: Farmacista per l’aderenza terapeutica (accreditato ECM)
Training program for pharmacists organised by the Chamber of Pharmacists of Milan, Monza, Lodi and Brianza (5 CPD credits)
- Italian Ministry of Health (contributing author). “Linee di indirizzo sugli strumenti per concorrere a ridurre gli errori in terapia farmacologica nell’ambito dei servizi assistenziali erogati dalle Farmacie di comunita”. Manuale elaborato dal Gruppo di lavoro “Implementazione della qualità e sicurezza dei servizi assistenziali erogati nelle Farmacie di comunità, di cui al D.D. 4-09-2012”. Governo Clinico e sicurezza dei pazienti, maggio 2014. Available at: http://www.quotidianosanita.it/allegati/create_pdf.php?all=1630783.pdf
- Italian Ministry of Health (contributing author). “Il Farmacista di Dipartimento quale strumento per la prevenzione degli errori in terapia e l’implementazione delle politiche di Governo clinico in ambito oncologico” October 2011. Available at: http://www.salute.gov.it/imgs/C_17_pubblicazioni_1638_allegato.pdf
- Manfrin A, Thomas T, Krska J. Randomised evaluation of the Italian Medicines Use Review provided by community pharmacist using asthma as a model. Interim report July 2015 (87 pages); sent to FOFI (Italian Pharmacists’ Federation) on 6th July 2015
- Manfrin A, Krska J. Evaluation of patients’ feedback and GPS’ views on I-MUR service provided in Italy. Full report (34 pages) sent to FOFI (Italian Pharmacists Federation) on 7th January 2014
- Manfrin A., Caparrotta L., Krska J. Medicine Use Review pilot project in Italy. Full report (43 pages) sent to FOFI (Italian Pharmacists Federation) on 3rd June 2013
Poster presentations and oral communications
- Manfrin A, Thomas T, Krska J. Symptoms control and adherence are major issues for asthmatic patients: can they be improved and are they linked? 27th Annual Scientific Meeting – “Ethics, economics and the future of medicine – a population perspective”. Prescribing and Research in Medicine Management (PRIMM), 29th January 2016, London UK.
- Manfrin A, Thomas T, Krska J. Interim evaluation of the Italian Medicines Use Review (RE I-MUR) provided by community pharmacists using asthma as a model. FIP 2015 World congress: Better practice-Science evidence driven. September 29th – October 3rd Dusseldorf (Germany).
- Krska J, Manfrin A. Pharmacist and GP views on a Medicine Use Review pilot project conducted in Italy. International Social Pharmacy Workshop 5th – 8th August 2014, Boston Massachusetts (USA)
- Manfrin A, Krska J. Evaluation of feedback on Medicines Use Reviews provided in Italy from patients with asthma. International Social Pharmacy Workshop 5th – 8th August 2014, Boston Massachusetts (USA)
- Manfrin A., Caparotta L., Krska J. Identification of Pharmaceutical Care Issues in Italian asthmatic patients using Medicine Use Reviews. FIP 2013, 31st August - 5th September 2013 Dublin, Ireland.
- Gallagher L., Manfrin A. From Aseptic Dispensing to clinical Implementation using active Learning and Technology. APTUK 10th June 2011, London, UK.
- Manfrin A., Lyons B., Kaur Mahil A., Warda S., Ogunbase E., Fattah D., Corlett S. The pharmacy model is changing from a package-service to a service-package: are community pharmacists and academia working together to develop the European Pharmacist? EAFP (European Association Faculty of Pharmacies), 24-26 June 2010, Catania, Italy
- Manfrin A, Tinelli M. (Krska J, Thomas T.) Italian Medicines Use Review (I-MUR): Efficacia e costo-efficacia usando l’asma come modello. Professione, politiche per a salute e sostenibilitá del sistema sanitario. FarmacistaPiú, Italian National Pharmacists Congress. Florence 18th March 2016 (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Le nuove regole del gioco. La farmacia, La Professione le Istituzioni. Confronto sulla Farmacia che cambia. Palermo 14th November 2015, (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Il percorso italiano della pharmaceutical care: studio RE I-MUR risultati finali. I nuovi modelli organizzativi della farmacia italiana ed europea e i risultati dell’esperienza italiana sull’aderenza terapeutica. Brescia 19 th October 2015 (Italy).
- Manfrin A, Krska J. RE I-MUR Ottimizzazione delle risorse e contestualizzazione dei risultati. Senato della Repubblica Italiana, Roma 12th October 2015 (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Cognitive Pharmaceutical Services around the World – focusing on EU, opening lecture at PHAMACY 21. PHARMACISTS IN HEALTH CARE, 1st National Polish Pharmaceutical Society Scientific Congress. September 11-12th September 2015 Wroclaw (Poland)
- Manfrin A. My Experience as Community Pharmacist in different European Countries, PHAMACY 21. PHARMACISTS IN HEALTH CARE, 1st National Polish Pharmaceutical Society Scientific Congress. September 11-12 2015 Wroclaw (Poland)
- Manfrin A. From knowing a lot to knowing what. FarmacistaPiú, 9th May 2015, Milan (Italy)
- Manfrin A. RE I-MUR: interim data (from delivering medicines to delivering outcomes) FarmacistaPiú, 8th May 2015, Milan (Italy)
- Manfrin A. The future of pharmacy. Future Forum 2014, Udine 3th November 2014, Italy
- Manfrin A. Il ROI dell’Appropriatezza (clinico e economico). Convegno Nazionale “Lotta alla contraffazione e appropriatezza terapeutica. Ruolo del Farmacista." 17th -18th May 2014 Agrigento (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Now or Never (Un progetto di ricerca, sviluppo ed implementazione italiano). Farmacista Piu’, 4th March 2014 Rome (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Pharmaceutical care: efficacia delle cure e governo della spesa, 9th November 2013, Bari (Italy)
- Manfrin A. Prestazione di “valore misurabile” per il sistema sanitario. XI Convention Federfarmaco. 24th October 2013 Palermo (Italy).
- Manfrin A. Pharmaceutical care a hub between hospital and community pharmacy. XXXIV Congresso Nazionale SIFO. Progettare insieme il future tra continuitá e cambiamenti: sanitá, professioni, cittadini. Torino (Italy) 17th-20th October 2013
- Manfrin A. MUR & EBP in Italy. Cosmofarma 2013. 19th April Bologna, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Management. Cosmofarma 2013. 20th April Bologna, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Form Vision to decision. Pharma Retail: Gli impatti delle ultime novità normative sulla distribuzione farmaceutica. Roma, 28 Febbraio 2013, Italy
- Manfrin A. Skills for the Future (From Plan to Action). Farmadays 2012, Verona Italy.
- Manfrin A. Focus on UK. The Pharmacist in Pharmacy: a key player into a changing health service in Europe. 16th June 2012. Turin Italy
- Manfrin A. Possible applications in Italy: focus on a real perspective. The Pharmacist in Pharmacy: a key player into a changing health service in Europe. 16th June 2012. Turin Italy
- Manfrin A. Trends, challenges and opportunities for CPs. EAFP Annual Conference 2012. 25th May 2012,Utrecht the Netherlands.
- Manfrin A. FARMAFORUM: “Confronto dibattito sul futuro della farmacia e della professione”. Cosmofarma Exibition 5th May 2012 Rome, Italy.
- Manfrin A. The Italian pharmacy today: tradition and future perspectives. Friuli Venezia Giulia Regional Conference, Villa Manin di Passariano, 22 Aprile 2012, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Caparrotta L. MUR a professional service for the Italian pharmacists. North Italian Community Pharmacy Conference. 1-2 October 2011, Desenzano sul Garda, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Pharmacists and Smoking Cessation (Behavioural Change). WHO Tobacco Free initiative. Organized by The International Centre for Drug Policy (ICDP) at St. George’s London University on behalf of WHO & EMRO. 23st September 2011, London UK.
- Manfrin A. Caparrotta L. Behavioural changing models and drug addiction. Padua Summer School, University of Padua, 19th July 2011, Italy.
- Manfrin A. The development of a profession and its critical success factors. The Conference of Deans of Italian School of Pharmacies. 29th June 2011 University of Catania, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Community Pharmacy in Europe: the present and the future. Annual meeting OFCT (Ordine dei Farmacisti del Ticino), 10th June 2011, Bellinzona, Switzerland.
- Manfrin A. Community Pharmacy across Europe. LPF meeting, 12th May 2011,Wrotham UK.
- Manfrin A. Adherence: Pharmacist’s critical success factor? (a bottom up approach). Department of Pharmacology and Anaestesiology, University of Padua 13th April 2011, Italy
- Manfrin A, Caparrotta L. Pharmacist and Pharmacy: the transformation of a model. National Italian Pharmacists’ Head Quarter (FOFI), 2nd March 2011, Rome Italy.
- Manfrin A. Sciolli R. Caparrotta L. Pharmacist and Pharmacies: a European comparison. ECM, Ordine dei Farmacisti di Treviso, 7th February 2011, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Hospital Pharmacists: from zero to hero. School of Specialization in Hospital Pharmacy, University of Perugia 25th January 2011, Italy.
- Manfrin A. Pharmacist “in” practice. Padua Summer School, University of Padua 19-23 July 2010, Italy..