Dr Rueyleng Loo
Medway School of Pharmacy
- +44 (0)1634 20 2948
Rueyleng graduated from the University of Bradford with a first class honours degree in Pharmacy. She then completed her pre-registration training at the GlaxoWellcome (currently known as GlaxoSmithKline) and Southend General Hospital. Once qualified, she worked as a hospital pharmacist for several years before she undertook a PhD in Biological Chemistry at the Imperial College London. Upon completion of her PhD, she held a postdoctoral research position there for a year.
Subsequently, Rueyleng joined Medway School of Pharmacy as a Clinical Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice and then promoted to a Senior Lecturer. She is currently the School’s MPharm Placement Coordinator and a Module Convener for one of the year 3 integrative therapeutic module (PHAM 1130). She also holds an Honorary Clinical Lectureship at the Imperial College London, Section of Biomolecular Medicine (since 2009).
Rueyleng jointly leads the Medway Metabonomics Research Group (MMRG) with Professor Jeremy Everett at the School of Science. She is a member of the Clinical and Professional Practice group and Renal and Cardiovascular Physiology and Pharmacology research group.back to top
Rueyleng's main research focuses on the discovery of metabolic biomarkers of cardiovascular diseases in human population studies. She also investigates the effects of diets and physical activities on health in general. More recently, she has extended her research in personalised healthcare and established a track record in the development of chemometric and statistical methods for analysis of ‘omics’ data and biomarker recovery.
- National Institute of Health R01 (Feb 2017 – Jan 2020)
Medical Research Council New Investigator Grant Award (Oct 2011 - July 2015)
Memberships of Professional Bodies
Member of Royal Society of Chemistry (2005 – present)
General Pharmaceutical Council (2010 – present)
In collaboration with Prof. Holmes and Prof Nicholson, Imperial College London, we have developed novel methods for analysing metabonomics datasets. Details of these algorithms have been published and we have provided the encrypted matlab scripts as links in the section below.
Statistical HOmogeneous Cluster SpectroscopY (SHOCSY)
SHOCSY is a clustering approach which aims to remove interferences within metabonomic datasets. In so doing, it improves the predictive ability of the model and enhances the reliability of biomarkers.
Details of the approach have been published in Analytical Chemistry (doi:10.1021/ac500161k).
A description of the SHOCSY algorithm and a link to the downloadable package are also available here.
Automatic Spectroscopic data Catergorization by cLustering Analysis (ASCLAN)
ASCLAN is a clustering approach which aims to reliably distinguish discriminatory metabolites from non-discriminatory metabolites within metabonomic datasets that contains two biological classes.
Details of the approach have been published in Analytical Chemistry (doi:10.1021/acs.analchem.5b04020).
A description of the ASCLAN algorithm and a link to the downloadable package are also available here.
Loo RL, Zou X, Appel LJ, Nicholson JK, Holmes E (2018) Characterization of metabolic responses to healthy diets and association with blood pressure: application to the Optimal Macronutrient Intake Trial for Heart Health (OmniHeart), a randomized controlled study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (in press) https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/nqx072
- Chan Q, Loo RL, Ebbels TM, Van Horn L, Daviglus ML, Stamler J, Nicholson JK, Holmes E, Elliott P. (2017) Metabolic phenotyping for discovery of urinary biomarkers of diet, xenobiotics and blood pressure in the INTERMAP Study: an overview. Hypertension Research, 2017 (4). pp. 336-345. doi: 10.1038/hr.2016.164
- Rodgers RM, Gammie SM, Loo RL, Corlett SA, Krska J (2016) Comparison of pharmacist and public views and experiences of community pharmacy medicines-related services in England. Patient Preference and Adherence, 2016 (10). pp. 1749-1758. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S112931
- Gammie SM, Rodgers RM, Loo RL, Corlett SA, Krska J.(2016) Medicine-related services in community pharmacy: public preferences for pharmacy attributes and promotional methods and comparison with pharmacists' perceptions. Patient Preference and Adherence, 2016 (10). pp. 2297-2307. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S112932
- Zou X, Holmes E, Nicholson JK, Loo RL (2016). Automatic Spectroscopic Data Categorization by Clustering Analysis (ASCLAN): A Data-Driven Approach for Distinguishing Discriminatory Metabolites for Phenotypic Subclasses. Analytical. Chemistry doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.5b04020.
- Joyce R, Kuziene V, Zou X, Wang X, Pullen F, Loo RL (2016). Development and validation of an ultra-performance liquid chromatography quadrupole time of flight mass spectrometry method for rapid quantification of free amino acids in human urine. Amino Acids 48, 219-34. doi 10.1007/s00726-015-2076-0
- Zou X, Holmes E, Nicholson JK, Loo RL (2014). Statistical HOmogeneous Cluster SpectroscopY (SHOCSY): An Optimized Statistical Approach for Clustering of 1H NMR Spectral Data to Reduce Interference and Enhance Robust Biomarkers Selection. Analytical. Chemistry 86, 5308–5315. doi: 10.1021/ac500161k
- Everett J, RL Loo, Pullen FS (2013) Pharmacometabonomics and personalized medicine. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry 50, 523-45. doi: 10.1177/0004563213497929
- Arora T*; RL Loo*; Anastasovska J*; Gibson GR, Tuohy KM, Sharma RK, Swann JR, Deaville ER, Sleeth ML, Thomas EL, Holmes E, Bell JD, Frost G (2012) Differential Effects of Two Fermentable Carbohydrates on Central Appetite Regulation and Body Composition. Plos One *equal contributing first author. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone
- Loo RL, Chan Q, Brown IJ, Brown IJ, Robertson CE, Stamler J, Nicholson JK, Holmes E, Elliott P (2012). A comparison of self-reported analgesic use and detection of urinary ibuprofen and acetaminophen metabolites by metabonomics: INTERMAP Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 175, 348 – 358. doi:10.1093/aje/kwr292
- Yap IK, Brown IJ, Chan Q, Wijeyesekera A, Garcia-Perez I, Bictash M, Loo RL, Chadeau-Hyam M, Ebbels T, De Iorio M, Maibaum E, Zhao L, Kesteloot H, Daviglus ML, Stamler J, Nicholson JK, Elliott P, Holmes E. (2010) Metabolome-wide association study identifies multiple biomarkers that discriminate north and south Chinese populations at differing risks of cardiovascular disease: INTERMAP study. Journal of Proteome Research 9, 6647-54. .1021/pr100798r
- Bictash M; Ebbels T; Chan Q; Loo RL Yap IK, Brown IJ, de Iorio M, Daviglus ML, Holmes E, Stamler J, Nicholson JK, Elliott P (2010). Metabolic phenotyping in epidemiology and metabolome-wide association studies. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 63, 970-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2009.10.001
- Loo RL, Coen M, Ebbels T, Cloarec O, Maibaum E, Bictash M, Yap I, Elliott P, Stamler J, Nicholson JK, Holmes E (2009). Metabolic Profiling and Population Screening of Analgesic Usage in NMR-Spectroscopy-based Large-scale Epidemiologic Studies. Analytical Chemistry 81, 5119-29. doi:10.1021/ac900567e
- Holmes E*, Loo RL*, Stamler J, Bictash M, Yap IK, Chan Q, Ebbels T, De Iorio M, Brown IJ, Veselkov KA, Daviglus ML, Kesteloot H, Ueshima H, Zhao L, Nicholson JK, Elliott P (2008). Human metabolic phenotype diversity and its association with diet and blood pressure. Nature 453, 396-400. *equal contributing first author. doi:10.1038/nature06882
- Holmes E*, Loo RL*, Cloarec O, Coen M, Tang H, Maibaum E, Bruce S, Chan Q, Elliott P, Stamler J, Wilson ID, Lindon JC, Nicholson JK (2007). Detection of Urinary Drug Metabolite (Xenometabolome) Signatures in Molecular Epidemiology Studies via Statistical Total Correlation (NMR) Spectroscopy. Analytical Chemistry 79, 2629-40. *equal contributing first author. doi:10.1021/ac062305n
Full List of Publications
- Loo RL, Prior P, Gammie S (2013) Assessment of the adherence to local guideline for the use of atorvastatin 80mg for patients newly diagnosed with acute coronary syndrome (ACS). Conference : Royal Pharmaceutical Society Conference. Location : Birmingham, Date : SEPT 8-9, 2013 International Journal of Pharmacy Practice Supplements 21 : 2, 42-43.
- Rodgers R, Loo RL, Kraska J (2013) Public perception of medicines-related advisory services provided by pharmacy. Conference : Royal Pharmaceutical Society Conference. Location : Birmingham, Date : SEPT 8-9, 2013 International Journal of Pharmacy Practice Supplements 21 : 2, 28-29.
- Loo RL, Diaper C, Salami OT, et al (2011) The NHS Health Check : the views of community pharmacists. Conference : Royal Pharmaceutical Society Conference. Location : London, Date : SEPT 11-12, 2011 International Journal of Pharmacy Practice Supplements 19 : 2, 13.