Miss Catherine Dewsbury
Clinical Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice
Medway School of Pharmacy
- +44 (0)1634 20 2949
Catherine joined Medway School of Pharmacy in 2007 as a Clinical Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice. She is focused on Teaching and Student Support as a tutor, Module Convenor, Programme Lead for a foundation degree for pharmacy technicians, Year Lead, and latterly spent a year as Director of Admissions and Social Media.
Before joining Medway School of Pharmacy Catherine combined two part-time roles as a Project Pharmacist for the National Patient Safety Agency looking at safer dispensing and safer use of medicines by patients and as a Manager for the Kent and Medway Pharmacy Collaborative. This small NHS team monitored pharmacy compliance with the NHS pharmaceutical services contract requirements and clinical governance across the nine primary care trusts in Kent and Medway.
For over twelve years, Catherine worked on pharmacy policy at a national level. she started at the Department of Health in Whitehall in 1995; then worked as a Clinical Governance lead for the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain in 2001; and, between 2004-2005, as a Project Officer for “Choosing Health Through Pharmacy”.
Whilst at the Department of Health as Pharmaceutical Officer for Public Health and Community Care, Catherine worked on a wide range of projects including: medicines in schools, medicines in care homes, supervised consumption of medicines and needle exchange for drug misusers, policy to reduce CFC’s in inhaled medicines, the POM to P move of emergency hormonal contraception, medicines in hospices ,budget manager for the Pharmacy Health link (formally Pharmacy Healthcare Scheme); and member of the professional secretariat to the second Crown Review into prescribing, supply and administration of medicine which led to the development of patient group directions and pharmacist prescribing. For three years Catherine was the policy manager for the Drug Tariff for England and Wales.
Other experiences include managing a very busy seaside community pharmacy in Herne Bay with a large, very elderly, demographic; community pharmacy locum work; and hospital pharmacy as a preregistration trainee and basic grade pharmacist at the Royal Marsden Hospital.
In addition to her pharmacy qualification from Brighton Polytechnic, Catherine has qualifications in clinical pharmacy from Aston University, a PGCHE from the University of Kent, MSc in Health Education and Public Health from Christchurch University in Kent. She is also a Diplomat of the Society of Apothecaries of London twice over; firstly in the Ethics of Healthcare and secondly in the History of Medicine.back to top
Catherine interest lies in Public health, health policy and how these impact on pharmacy practice, patients and the public. As well as the History of pharmacy and its relevance to current practice.back to top
- Dewsbury C, Rodgers RM, Krska J. Views of English pharmacists on public health services. Pharmacy 2015; 3: 154-168. DOI:10.3390/pharmacy3040154
- Dewsbury C, Rodgers RM, Krska J. Views of pharmacists on public health services. Int J Pharm Pract 2015; 23 (Suppl 2): 64
- Dewsbury C, Saramunee K, Mackridge AJ, Krska J. Promotion of pharmacy public health services: Which method is best? Int J Pharm Pract 2014; 22 (Suppl 1): 6-7
- Dewsbury C, Acharya S, Khinda R, & Singh P (2012) Public Use and Views on Community Pharmacy Public Health Services. Int J Pharm Pract 2012; 20 (Suppl 1): 38
- Dewsbury C, Acharya S, Khinda R, & Singh P (2012) Public Use and Views on Community Pharmacy Public Health Services Accepted for HSRPP conference April 2012. IJPP (in press)
- Rodgers R, Dewsbury C, and Lea A, (2010) FASTTrack: Law and Ethics in Pharmacy Practice Pharmaceutical Press, London
- Oduniyi, O., Corlett, S., Dewsbury, C. and Mason, J. (2010) A pharmacy based weight management service. World Association for Sustainable Development (WASD) Conference, St. Lucia. (Oral presentation)
- Oduniyi O, Dewsbury, C and Corlett S (2010) City and Hackney teaching Primary Care Trust Pharmacy-based Weight Management Service Evaluation Report
- Skills for Public Health (2009) Module 6: Public Health and Community Pharmacy, Chemist and Druggist
- NPSA (2007) Design for patient safety: a guide to the design of dispensed medicines, NPSA, London
- NPSA (2007) Design for patient safety: a guide to the design of the dispensing environment, NPSA, London
- NPSA (2007) Safety in doses: medication safety incidents in the NHS: the fourth report from the Patient Safety observatory NPSA, London