Medway School of Pharmacy sits prominently in the heart of a multiversity campus at Chatham Maritime. It is composed of splendid Edwardian redbrick and ivy-clad buildings, which date from 1903, as well as a more recent purpose-built teaching and student facilities which complement the history of the campus.
The centrepiece of the campus is a magnificent library that has been converted from a Drill Hall, inherited from the campus’s original use as a Royal Naval barracks. The library boasts a wide range of resources including 300 computers for students, making access to learning resources never a problem.
The campus has a mix of social and leisure facilities on site including three restaurants, a sports hall and a well-equipped gym with cardio-vascular and weights rooms.
The campus is well connected to local towns including Rochester, Gillingham and Chatham. Student can easy commute via bus or train. The University of Greenwich also provides a dedicated bus service between Medway, London and Avery Hill campus.
There are plenty of activities and places to visit in Medway. For instance Rochester, a couple of miles away, offers a range of quirky shops along its cobbled high street. There you will find the second oldest Cathedral in England, where the School has its annual graduation ceremonies. Overlooking the Cathedral is Rochester Castle, 12th-century well preserved Norman architecture.
Rochester stages numerous events throughout the year, including music concerts and Victorian-themed Dickens festivals. Another Chatham town centre is another option where you will find a wide range of high street bands, bars and restaurants.
A campus with history
In the early days the River Medway and its banks saw Roman Legions and 8th Century visits from the Danes. The Normans then fortified Rochester giving them control of the river. The area then became a major ship-building port and Chatham Dockyard was formed in 1547. Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey was also developed to complement the Medway naval activities. It had a deep port and was a good vantage point for setting defence guns.
The campus was originally the home of the former HMS Pembroke Royal Navy barracks. In 1994, the University of Greenwich established a campus on the upper level, investing heavily over the next decade to improve and expand its facilities. In 2003, architects RMJM started work to create a visually striking shared campus which combines the historic nature of the site with the best of British contemporary architecture. In particular, the Grade II listed Drill Hall is a state-of-the-art learning resource centre, incorporating a library with teaching space and ICT facilities.