Dr Dimitrios A Lamprou
Senior Lecturer in Pharmaceutics / Drug Delivery
Medway School of Pharmacy
- +44 (0)1634 20 2947
Dr Dimitrios A. Lamprou (BEng PgCert PgDip MSc PhD MBA) is an enthusiastic Associate Professor in Pharmaceutics / Drug Delivery appointed in September 2016 at University of Kent and Visiting Academic at University of Strathclyde, with training in multidisciplinary areas and in first class laboratories (e.g. Greece, US, UK). Before his current appointment(s), Dr Lamprou was Assistant Professor in Pharmaceutical Sciences (2012-2016) and an EPSRC postdoctoral fellow in Biomaterials and Drug Delivery Systems (2009-2012) at Strathclyde Institute of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences (SIPBS). Dr Lamprou was also Visiting Scientist at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT Center for Biomedical Engineering; US) and at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Department of Pharmaceutical Technology; Greece).
Dr Lamprou has experience of teaching in Higher Education (Pharmacy Departments) since 2006, conducting research and securing National (e.g. EPSRC, SULSA) and International (e.g. HORIZON 2020, Commonwealth) Funding, and is currently involved in a variety of industry projects and collaborates with academic partners and clinicians within the UK and internationally. He is Committee Member at the United Kingdom and Ireland Controlled Release Society (UKICRS; www.ukicrs.org), external viva examiner for UK and International Institutions, and referees for journals (30+ Pharmaceutical and related), publishers (e.g. Elsevier) and research funding bodies (e.g. MRC).
Dr Lamprou has authored over 50 articles in high impact multidisciplinary journals, and over 150 poster and podium presentations at national and international conferences / Universities that includes over 50 invited talks, and has experience of supervising Post-Doc's, 20+ Ph.D students and 70+ Master (MPharm, MPhil, MRes, MSc) level research projects.
For more information about Dr Lamprou's background / research, you can also check in LinkedIn (https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dimitrioslamprou) and the Research Group Blog (http://lamprougroup.blogspot.co.uk/).back to top
With several laboratories, which are fitted with modern equipment, Dr Lamprou’s Research Group offers an excellent environment for research. The group has access in a variety of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities which are divided in five areas: Analytical, Biomedical, Microscopy, Pharmaceutics, and Spectroscopy / Surface Science.
Dr Lamprou is always pursuing the most exciting, challenging, up-to-date and hot topics in the area of Pharmaceutics by having discussions with Industry and Research Funding Bodies. Dr Lamprou’s Research Interests are divided into 3 areas:
1. Drug Delivery & Pharmaceutical Product Development:
- Formulation, Physicochemical Characterisation, Dissolution Testing / Process, Antibacterial and Cytotoxicity studies on a variety of Drug Delivery Systems (DDS). These DDS includes: electrospun nanofibers, extruded formulations and a variety of nano & micro particles prepared by microfluidics or traditional methods (e.g. Liposomes, Solid Lipid Nanoparticles (SLNs), polymeric (e.g. PLGA), and silica formulations).
- Engineering of novel drug delivery systems for imaging and treatment using new or currently available anticancer, antidiabetic and anti-infective drugs.
2. Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Process:
- Process Analytical Technology (PAT) and Quality by Design (QbD) for real-time process control in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing.
- Hot-melt Extrusion (HME).
- 3D (using HME extrudates & in-house prepared filaments) and Inject Printing technologies of drug delivery systems & medical devices (e.g. drug eluting stents, microneedles, patches, rings, scaffolds, tablets).
- Twin-Screw Granulation (TSG) and Tableting using extruded granules.
- Co-Crystallisation by HME and Microfluidics.
• Electrospinning polymeric nanofibers production for a variety of Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering applications (e.g. hernia repair, mesh implants, wound healing).
3. Surface & Nanoanalysis:
- Chemical and Physical analysis on variety of materials down to nanoscale.
- Development of modified surfaces for various biomedical and pharmaceutical applications (e.g. antifouling, protein-excipient interactions, templating).
- Nanocharacterisation techniques (e.g. AFM, CT, ToF-SIMS) to study a variety of systems and Quantitative Methods.
- Metrology for Pharmaceutical Formulation and Manufacturing.
- I. Hall Barrientos, E. Paladino, P. Szabó, S. Brozio, P.J. Hall, C.I. Oseghale, M.K. Passarelli, S.J. Moug, R.A. Black, C.G. Wilson, R. Zelkó*, D.A. Lamprou*. (2017) Electrospun collagen-based nanofibres: a sustainable material for improved antibiotic utilisation for tissue engineering applications. Int. J. Pharm. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2017.08.071. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378517317307780
- V. Kushwah, A. Kumar Agrawal, C. Prakash, D. Mallinson, D.A. Lamprou, R.C. Gupta, S. Jain (2017) Novel Gemcitabine conjugated albumin nanoparticles: a potential strategy to enhance drug efficacy in pancreatic cancer treatment. Pharm. Res. doi: 10.1007/s11095-017-2238-8. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11095-017-2238-8
- A. Elshaer, A. Al-khattawi, A.R. Mohammed, M. Warzecha, D.A. Lamprou, H. Hassanin. (2017) Understanding the compaction behaviour of Low-hydroxypropyl cellulose: Macro, micro and nano-metric evaluations. Pharm. Dev. Technol. doi: 10.1080/10837450.2017.1363775. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10837450.2017.1363775
- V. García Fernández-Luna, D. Mallinson, P. Alexiou, I. Khadra, A.B. Mullen, M. Pelecanou, M. Sagnou*, D.A. Lamprou*. (2017) Isatin thiosemicarbazones promote honeycomb structure formation in spin-coated polymer films: concentration effect and release studies. RSC Advances. 7 (21), 12945-12952. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2017/ra/c6ra28163j#!divAbstract
- S.M. van der Merwe, N. Bouropoulos, D.A. Lamprou, O.L. Katsamenis, D.G. Fatouros. (2017) Preparation and characterization of large unilamellar vesicles mixed with trimethylchitosan (TMC): the effect of polyelectrolyte concentration. Current Bionanotechnology. 3(1), 000-000. http://benthamscience.com/journals/current-bionanotechnology/article/149565/
- C. Mendez Torrecillas*, G.W. Halbert, D.A. Lamprou*. (2017) A novel methodology to study polymodal particle size distributions produced during continuous wet granulation. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2017.01.023. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378517317300248
- I. Hall Barrientos, E. Paladino, S. Brozio, M.K. Passarelli, S. Moug, R.A. Black, C.G. Wilson, D.A. Lamprou*. (2017) Fabrication and characterisation of drug-loaded electrospun polymeric nanofibers for controlled release in hernia repair. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 517(1-2), 329-337. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378517316311644
- M. Guimarães Sá Correia, M-L. Briuglia, F. Niosi, D.A. Lamprou. (2016) Microfluidic manufacturing of phospholipid nanoparticles: stability, encapsulation efficacy, and drug release. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpharm.2016.11.025.
- D. Mallinson, D.L. Cheung, D. Simionesie, A.B. Mullen, Z.J. Zhang, D.A. Lamprou. (2016) Experimental and computational examination of anastellin (FnIII1c)-polymer interactions. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A. doi: 10.1002/jbm.a.35949.
- J.G. Osorio, R. Sayin, A. Kalbag, L. Martinez-Marcos, D.A. Lamprou, G.W. Halbert, J.D. Litster. (2016) Scaling of Continuous Twin Screw Wet Granulation. AIChE Journal. doi:10.1002/aic.15459.
- S. Hannah, J.C. Amengual, D.A. Lamprou, P. Šutta, P. Baran, A. Al Ruzaiqi, K. Johnston, H. Gleskova. (2016) Interplay between vacuum-grown monolayers of alkyl phosphonic acids and performance of organic transistors based on dinaphtho[2,3-b:2′,3′-f]thieno[3,2-b]thiophene. ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 8(38), 25405-25414.
- S. Laing, R. Suriano, D.A. Lamprou, C-A. Smith, M.J. Dalby, S. Mabbott, K. Faulds, D. Graham. (2016) Thermoresponsive Polymer Micropatterns Fabricated by Dip-Pen Nanolithography for a Highly Controllable Substrate with Potential Cellular Applications. ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 8(37), 24844-24852.
- S. Davidson, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, M.H. Grant, S.V. Patwardhan. (2016) Bio-inspired silica offers a novel, green and biocompatible alternative to traditional drug delivery systems. ACS Biomater. Sci. Eng. 2(9), 1493-1503. Front Cover.
- D. Irving, D.A. Lamprou, M. Maclean, S.J. MacGregor, J.G. Anderson, M.H. Grant. (2016) A comparison study of the degradative effects and safety implications of UVC and 405 nm germicidal light sources for endoscope storage. Polym. Degrad. Stab. 133, 249-254.
- E.V. Alakpa, V. Jayawarna, A. Lampel, K.V. Burgess, C.C. West, S.C.J. Bakker, S. Roy, N. Javid, S. Fleming, D.A. Lamprou, J. Yang, A. Miller, A.J. Urquhart, P.W.J.M. Frederix, N.T. Hunt, B. Péault, R.V. Ulijn, M.J. Dalby. (2016) Tuneable supramolecular hydrogels for selection of lineage guiding metabolites in stem cell cultures. Chem. 1(2), 298-319.
- S.A. Ross, D.A. Lamprou*, D. Douroumis*. (2016) Engineering and manufacturing of pharmaceutical co-crystals: A review on solvent-free manufacturing technologies. Chem. Commun. 52, 8772-8786.
- D. Mallinson, P. Alexiou, A.B. Mullen, M. Pelecanou, M. Sagnou*, D.A. Lamprou*. (2016) Isatin thiosemicarbazone-blended polymer films for biomedical applications: surface morphology, characterisation and preliminary biological assessment. RSC Advances. 6, 24939-24945.
- I.P. Moreira, I. Ramos-Sasselli, D.A. Cannon, M. Hughes, D.A. Lamprou, T. Tuttle, R.V. Ulijn. (2016) Enzymatically activated emulsions stabilized by interfacial nanofibre networks. Soft Matter. 12, 2623-2631.
- L. Martinez-Marcos*, D.A. Lamprou*, R. McBurney, G.W. Halbert. (2016) A novel hot-melt extrusion formulation of albendazole for increasing dissolution properties. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 499(1-2), 175-185.
- R. Sayin, L. Martinez-Marcos, J.G. Osorio, P. Cruise, I. Jones, G.W. Halbert, D.A. Lamprou*, J.D. Litster*. (2015) Investigation of an 11mm diameter Twin Screw Granulator: Screw Element Performance and In-line Monitoring via Image Analysis. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 496(1), 24-32.
- S. Ross, N. Scoutaris, M.J. Snowden, D.A. Lamprou, D. Mallinson, D. Douroumis. (2015) Inkjet printing of insulin microneedles for transdermal delivery. Drug. Del. Trans. Res. 5(4), 451-461.
- M.H. Akanda, R. Rai, I.J. Slipper, B.Z. Chowdhry, D.A. Lamprou, G. Getti, D. Douroumis. (2015) Delivery of retinoic acid to LNCap human prostate cancer cells using solid lipid nanoparticles. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 493 (1-2), 161-171.
- M-L. Briuglia, C. Rotella, A. McFarlane, D.A. Lamprou*. (2015) Influence of cholesterol on liposome stability and on in vitro drug release. Drug. Del. Trans. Res. 5 (3), 231–242.
- M-L. Briuglia, A.J. Urquhart, D.A. Lamprou*. (2014) Sustained and controlled release of lipophilic drugs from a self-assembling amphiphilic peptide hydrogel. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 474 (1-2), 103–111.
- D.G. Fatouros, D.A. Lamprou, M. Spanakis, I.S. Vizirianakis, A.J. Urquhart, S.N. Yannopoulos, I. Niopas, S. Zhang, S. Koutsopoulos. (2014) Lipid-like self-assembling peptide nanovesicles for drug delivery. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 6 (11), 8184–8189.
- C.R. Steven, G.A. Busby, C. Mather, B. Tariq, M-L. Briuglia, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, M.H. Grant, S.V. Patwardhan. (2014) Bioinspired Silica as Drug Delivery Systems and their Biocompatibility. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2, 5028-5042.
- A.M. Gebril, D.A. Lamprou, M. Alsaadi, W.H. Stimson, A.B. Mullen, V.A. Ferro. (2014) Assessment of the antigen-specific antibody response induced by mucosal administration of a GnRH conjugate entrapped in lipid nanoparticles. Nanomed. Nanotech. Biol. Med. 10(5), 971-979.
- J.R. Smith, D.A. Lamprou. (2014) Polymer coatings for biomedical applications: a review. Trans IMF. 92 (1), 9-19.
- I. Onyesom, D.A. Lamprou, L. Sygellou, S.K. Owusu-Ware, M. Antonijevic, B.Z. Chowdry, D. Douroumis. (2013) Sirolimus encapsulated liposomes for cancer therapy: physicochemical and mechanical characterization of sirolimus distribution within liposome bilayers. Molecular Pharmaceutics. 10(11), 4281-4293.
- S. Gupta, P. Šutta, D.A. Lamprou, H. Gleskova. (2013) Effect of substrate temperature on vapour-phase self-assembly of n-octylphosphonic acid monolayer for low-voltage organic thin-film transistors. Organic Electronics. 14(10), 2468–2475.
- D.A. Lamprou*, V. Venkatapurwar, M.N.V. Ravi Kumar*. (2013) Atomic Force Microscopy Images Label-Free, Drug Encapsulated nanoparticles in vivo and detects difference in tissue mechanical properties of treated and untreated: a tip for nanotoxicology. PLoS ONE. 8(5), e64490. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0064490.
- C.N. Grama, V.P. Venkatapurwar, D.A. Lamprou, M.N.V. Ravi Kumar. (2013) Towards scale-up and regulatory shelf-stability testing of curcumin encapsulated polyester nanoparticles. Drug. Deliv. Transl. Res. 3(3), 286-293. Front Cover.
- J. Mains, D.A. Lamprou, L. McIntosh, I.D.H. Oswald, A.J. Urquhart. (2013) Beta-Adrenoceptor Antagonists Affect Amyloid Nanostructure; Amyloid hydrogels as drug delivery vehicles. Chem Comm. 49, 5082-5084.
- R.G. Couston, D.A. Lamprou, S. Uddin, C.F. van der Walle. (2012) Interaction and destabilization of a monoclonal antibody to surfaces of varying functionality and hydrophobicity. Int. J. of Pharmaceutics. 438(1-2), 71-80.
- S. Roy, N. Javid, P.W.J.M. Frederix, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, N.T. Hunt, P.J. Halling, R.V. Ulijn. (2012) Dramatic Specific Ion Effect in Supramolecular Hydrogels. Chemistry - A European Journal. 18(37), 11723-11731.
- P.W.J.M. Frederix, R. Kania, J.A. Wright, D.A. Lamprou, R.V. Ulijn, C.J. Pickett, N.T. Hunt. (2012) Encapsulating [FeFe]-hydrogenase model compounds in peptide hydrogels dramatically modifies stability and photochemistry. Dalton Transactions. 41(42), 13112-13119.
- G.E. Craig, S.D. Brown, D.A. Lamprou, D. Graham, N.J. Wheate. (2012) Cisplatin tethered gold nanoparticles which exhibit enhanced reproducibility, drug loading and stability – a step closer to pharmaceutical approval? Inorganic Chemistry. 51(6), 3490-3497.
- S.C. McKellar, A.J. Urquhart, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Florence. (2012) Polymer Templating of Supercooled Indomethacin for Polymorph Selection. ACS Combinatorial Science. 14(3), 155-159.
- A. Patil, A.A. Lafarga, M. Chebrot, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, D. Douroumis. (2012) Inclusion of water insoluble drugs in amorphous silica nanoparticles. J. Biomed. Nanotech. 8(4), 550-557.
- A. Patil, U.N Chirmade, V. Trivedi, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, D. Douroumis. (2011) Encapsulation of water insoluble drugs in mesoporous silica nanoparticles using supercritical carbon dioxide. J. of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology. 2:111. doi:10.4172/2157-7439.1000111.
- D. Lamprou, P. Zhdan, F. Labeed, C. Lekakou. (2011) Gelatine and gelatine/elastin nanocomposites for vascular grafts: processing and characterisation. J. of Biomaterials Applications. 26(2), 209-226.
- S.G. Potta, S. Minemi, R.K. Nukala, C. Peinado, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, D. Douroumis. (2010) Development of solid lipid nanoparticles for enhanced solubility of poorly soluble drugs. J. Biomed. Nanotech. 6(6), 634-640.
S.G. Potta, S. Minemi, R.K. Nukala, C. Peinado, D.A. Lamprou, A.J. Urquhart, D. Douroumis. (2010) Preparation and characterization of Ibuprofen solid lipid nanoparticles with enhanced solubility. J. of Microencapsulation. 28(1), 74-81.
- D.A. Lamprou, J.R. Smith, T.G. Nevell, E. Barbu, C.R. Willis, J. Tsibouklis. (2010) Towards the determination of surface energy at the nanoscale: a further assessment of the AFM-based approach. J. Adv. Microsc. Res. 5(2), 137-142.
- D.A. Lamprou, J.R. Smith, T.G. Nevell, E. Barbu, C. Stone, C.R. Willis, J. Tsibouklis. (2010) A comparative study of surface energy data from atomic force microscopy and from contact angle goniometry. Appl. Surf. Sci. 256(16), 5082-5087.
- D.A. Lamprou, J.R. Smith, T.G. Nevell, E. Barbu, C. Stone, C.R. Willis, R.J. Ewen, J. Tsibouklis. (2010) Self-assembled alkanethiol structures on gold: a further insight into the origins of structural rearrangement phenomena. Surface Science. 604(5-6), 540-546.
- D.A. Lamprou, J.R. Smith, T.G. Nevell, E. Barbu, C.R. Willis, J. Tsibouklis. (2010) Self-assembled structures of alkanethiols on gold-coated cantilever tips and substrates for atomic force microscopy: molecular organization and conditions for reproducible deposition. Applied Surface Science. 256(6), 1961-1968.
- S. Green, M. Roldo, D. Douroumis, N. Bouropoulos, D. Lamprou, D.G. Fatouros. (2009) Chitosan derivatives alter release profiles of model compounds from calcium phosphate implants. Carbohyd. Res. 344(7), 901-907.
- C. Lekakou, D. Lamprou, U. Vidyarthi, E. Karopoulou, P. Zhdan. (2008) Structural hierarchy of biomimetic materials for tissue engineered vascular and orthopedic grafts. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. B Appl. Biomater. 85B(2), 461-468.
- D.A. Lamprou*, J.R. Smith. (2016) Section 5: Imaging techniques. Chapter 20: Applications of AFM in Pharmaceutical Sciences. On: Analytical techniques in the pharmaceutical sciences. Thomas Rades, Anette Müllertz, Yvonne Perrie (eds.). Chapter DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4939-4029-5_20. Series Title: Adv. in Del. Sci., Tech. Springer. ISBN: 978-1-4939-4027-1.
- D.A. Garside, R. Acevedo, M. Alsaadi, N. Nimmo, A. Gebril, D.A. Lamprou, A.B. Mullen, V.A. Ferro. (2015) Chapter 10: Vaccines against non-infectious, non-cancer novel targets. On: Novel Approaches and Strategies for Biologics, Vaccines and Cancer Therapies. M. Singh & M. Salnikova (eds.). Elsevier. ISBN: 978-0-12-416603-5.